Sunday, March 22, 2015

Why YouTube is annoying (day 23)

I was on you tube trying to do some research on game theory (you tube is good for odd subjects like that), and I ended up with a whole bunch of videos on why Mario is a communist and how you can scream someone's head off. This makes me annoyed at you tube. That even though it is made to be publicly used and open to all, the only thing you can ever find is the things other people are watching on you tube (which are cat videos and music videos). This causes me to wonder how even though the internet is a global system with no government, it still runs as though it was capitalist by promoting big names and driving other videos out of existence. Luckily i did end up finding the videos I wanted by narrowing my search, but I also wanted to bring up a magical principal known as "net neutrality". This is what keeps the internet from becoming like cable. Without this, the internet would end up with just a whole bunch of advertisements and restrictive searches. Some topics like game theory may never be found on the internet, and if they did, you would have to buy the super-deluxe package to find it. The only thing on the internet would be PBS and NPR. The rest would be adds and corporate company web pages. I hope that when everyone is old enough to vote, no-one will think to vote against net neutrality if we want to keep the internet the crazy, but not quite capitalist place it is.
image from:http://www.youtube.com/yt/brand/media/image/YouTube-logo-full_color.png

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh... Youtube-the best procrastination tool ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a really creative topic to write about. I liked the way that it was organized and I learned some things too. Nice.
    -Brynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, Adrian! I can tell this mattes to you from your passionate writing on the topic. I'd love to read more like this from you!

    ReplyDelete